Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Veggie Pancakes


I'm squeezing the cupboards now, really. I have enough actual food for one more meal this week, and I'm trying to hold out til Saturday when we get paid. So you know all those "staples" I told you to keep in the cupboard? Yeah....that's all I had left. My fridge is bare. I actually went digging around on the interwebs to find the idea for this recipe. I made it my own (out of necessity as I lacked several of the ingredients), and the baby had fun watching me shred potatoes from her high chair.

Ingredients:

2 large red potatoes, washed and shredded
1 sweet potato, peeled and shredded (you may only want to use half the potato and save the rest for later)
1 large shallot, minced
3 large branches of broccoli crowns (just the little individual treetops, not the whole head), chopped fine
7 baby carrots or 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
2 eggs, slightly scrambled
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp parsley flakes

Combine vegetables and eggs, mixing well.

Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add to wet vegetable mixture and stir all together well.


Spray a generous amount of olive oil into a large skillet and heat on medium. Drop fat spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan, frying until browned on both sides, about 6-8 minutes per side.

Makes 4-6 servings. I ate three and was stuffed. I impressed myself with how tasty this was, and patted myself on the back for finding something to make with nothing but vegetables and eggs.

It took about 30 minutes to make just because of shredding the veggies....do you have any idea how hard it is to shred baby carrots without cutting your fingertips?
Note: Don't worry about the outside looking a little crispier, as long as the pancakes are cooked all the way through! You don't want to be eating any undercooked parts because of the raw egg. Believe me, it'll give you really bad gas.

No comments:

Post a Comment