Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sausage Hash

I've been dying to try this recipe ever since I first saw it in last year's Christmas issue of Renaissance Magazine. I changed the amounts of certain ingredients, since I only had one pound of sausage to work with and didn't want to over-veggify it. The baby was very good and sucked on a piece of pear held in this Baby Safe Feeder. And I had to pull out my very large soup pot to fit all the ingredients for the hash. I'll tell you one thing, though, this was DELICIOUS! I even had some for breakfast this morning too.

Ingredients:

1 pound ground sausage (country style or natural, NOT Italian seasoned)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 large sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
4-5 large carrots, peeled and thick julienned
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and thick julienned
4 red potatoes, thick julienned

2 small sprigs fresh rosemary
2 -3 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
Kosher or sea salt
Black pepper

Using a large pot, saute the sausage in the olive oil until mostly browned.

After that, the recipe said to add things in a certain order (the onions and garlic first), but I forgot to read that part and ended up just dumping ALL of the chopped vegetables in at once, stirring it all together with 1/2 cup of water to help the vegetables cook faster.

Add a pinch or two of sea salt and ground black pepper. After it's all mixed together, cover for about 3-4 minutes (cooking on medium-low heat) and then finish cooking uncovered, stirring occasionally. When vegetables are almost fork-tender, add the rosemary leaves and chopped chives, then stir and continue cooking until you can poke into the potatoes easily with a fork.

Takes about 30-45 minutes to make and serves at least 5 people large portions.

No comments:

Post a Comment