Sunday, February 14, 2010

Chicken a la King

I was looking up ways to roast a chicken in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, and after realizing that (according to them) there weren't any other methods besides the ones I already used, I came across a recipe for chicken a la king. I've never had it before, and I didn't follow the recipe exactly, but you can't argue with the results. The other night I made my Herb-Rubbed Roast Chicken for dinner and shared it with some friends I hadn't seen in a long while. I was left with a breast and a half, the back meat, and some meat on one of the thighs. I just shoved the whole thing in a storage bag for leftovers and figured I'd deal with it later. So the next day, remembering the chicken a la king recipe, I gave it a shot in my cheater, cheapo fashion. This is what I came up with:

Ingredients:

one leftover roasted chicken
14-oz (or so) can of chicken broth
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 stick butter (a little over 2 Tbsp worth)
dash of black pepper

Throw everything into a 7-quart Crock Pot (you may want to roll the chicken over a bit to coat it in the mixture before you turn the crock pot on) and turn on High for 1 1/2 hours, then change to Low setting and cook another 1-3 hours. Use a spoon or something to pull the meat off the bones and throw the remaining bones away. Serve meat and gravy over slices of toast.

I made leftovers of this tonight (since I forgot to take photos of when I was actually making it, as we had company over at the time), and used the bread I made myself in the last post, toasted in my toaster oven. Just pile the chicken and the gravy that comes with it softens up the toast wonderfully. This is a great way to get rid of leftover chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment