Monday, February 22, 2010

Sourdough Artisan Bread

I know it's been a few days since I've made an entry, and that is due to the fact that the only things I've been making for dinner are foods that I've already written recipes for, such as the other night's Corned Beef and Cabbage. Yesterday morning, I wanted to finish off the dough I had in the refrigerator. I forgot to mention that once you make the dough it will last up to 14 days in the fridge, but mine was almost a week old and I didn't want it in there any longer. I made two boules and took one to my aunt and uncle (almost getting lost in the Cascade Mountains on the trip), and I wanted to tell you how to use the bread recipe to make sourdough.

After you have made all the dough from your first batch of Artisan Bread, do not wash the bowl. Simply mix another batch up, using half the amount of yeast as the first time, in the same bowl, scraping the leftover dough off the sides and incorporating in into the new mixture. Follow all the same directions after that, letting it rise for two hours then putting it in the fridge, and make the bread the same as usual.

The older yeast that had been out in the air in the old dough will give the new bread loaves that distinct sourdough taste. VERY delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment