Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Easy Breadmaking...or so the recipe says...

If I do not update on any given day, it is usually going to be due to one of two circumstances: my husband is at work/night shift/on duty (standing watch all night, as he's in the Navy), or we are eating leftovers of something I've previously blogged about. My husband is on night shift for right now but I'm still cooking whenever I finish off enough leftovers that I have room in the fridge for more. I had a bit of a meltdown today over the brand new meat thermometer I got for Christmas. It's all digital and fancy, but when I opened it it wasn't displaying and so I bought new batteries for it. I loosened the plastic battery compartment cover and walked over to a table where I had the batteries. Somewhere in that 6 foot walk, I lost the cover. We both searched for it over, under, inside, all around EVERYTHING in that area and can't find it. So I'm really angry that I've lost something for a gift I never even got to use. And of course, you can't use the thermometer without the cover because it holds the battery in.
ANYWAY, today I'm trying to make bread.
This is the dough just after it's been mixed:

I made the dough and it has set for just over two hours, but the recipe I have says you can let it rise up to 5 hours and that it should sit in the fridge overnight to stiffen up a bit and be easier to mold into a boule. I'll share the basic ingredients for you from this recipe a friend gave me, as it's supposed to be SUPER easy to make this bread (once you've gone out and bought a pizza peel and baking stone). So I'll update tomorrow on how it turns out after the dough has spent the night in the refrigerator. You can find the recipe HERE.

Ingredients:

3 cups lukewarm water
1-1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast (1-1/2 packets)
1-1/2 tablespoons kosher or other coarse salt
6-1/2 cups unsifted, unbleached, all-purpose white flour (making sure you flatten out the top of the scoop with the back of a butter knife)
Cornmeal for pizza peel

This is the dough once it has set for 2 hours:

Wish me luck on finishing the bread tomorrow! By the way, this Mozart Cube makes for hours of amusing baby entertainment. After 5 days of ownership, she finally figured out how to work it on her own, using her HANDS!

No comments:

Post a Comment