Friday, February 12, 2010

Bread Baking Day 2


Thankfully I started the bread project pretty early in the morning, because around 10:30am, I bent over to pick something up and threw out my back. I've been living off ibuprofen since then and picking up the baby as little as possible, which is no easy feat when I'm the only one home to care for her. Husband had to work and I have no available friends or family here to help me, so I did the basics of care for the baby while I iced down my lower back and prayed she could entertain herself for the day with toys.
Anyway, before the injury, I did manage to get the bread started. I cut off a grapefruit-sized hunk of dough from the big lump in the bowl and rolled it around in my hands with flour until it looked good, then placed it on a bed of cornmeal on the pizza peel.

Unfortunately I didn't use enough cornmeal, because when I went to slide the dough off onto the heated stone in the oven, it just stuck. It sat there, slowly sinking toward the stone but clinging on to the wood for dear life. I pushed it off with a spatula and managed to bake it.
Here is a helpful video I found online so you can see the process:

It stuck to the stone after I had my husband pull it out (he was home in the morning, as he's on night shift right now), so I think I'll have to put some cornmeal on the stone itself next time. The recipe makes enough dough for at least 4 or 5 small boules, maybe more. At any rate, once we finally scraped the bread off the stone and let it cool a few minutes, I cut right in. It was delicious! And all in all, a pretty easy experimentation in breadmaking. I'm definitely going to do this often and get my money's worth out of the pizza peel and stone (and maybe even use them to bake a pizza someday), especially after my back heals.
I'm feeling a little better today, but there is still quite a lot of pain when I move around or try to sit. This is the one I took after I'd already eaten half the first loaf:


Once you have all your supplies, this really is the cheapest and easiest way of getting fresh baked loaves of artisan bread I've ever encountered.

1 comment: