Friday, January 29, 2010

Beef Stew in the Crock Pot Plus a Special Ingredient


The baby is much better behaved in the mornings, so that's why it's much easier to make Crock Pot meals. I start it in the morning when she is content to sit in her chair and watch me, and can get everything prepared with little fuss over her. Today is another "clean out the cabinets" type stew, since tomorrow I'll finally have money to go grocery shopping again. I had a shallot in the cupboard so I decided to add that to my normal recipe for beef stew, found HERE. Shallots really suck to peel and cut, as they make you cry worse than regular onions, but they taste absolutely fabulous once cooked. Plus I had a few extra potatoes, and since I didn't want to have just two or three red potatoes sitting lonely in the cupboard I threw them all in.

It's a starch-heavy beef stew today. And I'm glad I always keep bouillon cubes in the cabinet. A can of beef broth tastes better, but when you either forget to buy one or simply run out, some bouillon cubes will do the trick.

The addition of the shallot turned out to be an incredible bonus, adding a sweet tang to the broth. I think I'll be putting a chopped shallot or two in my beef stew from now on!

2 comments:

  1. If you leave the root on any member of the onion family while you cut it up, it won't release as much of the oils that irritate the eyes. If you cut it off first try a good exhaust fan or maybe goggles or a diving mask...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL yeah I heard you can chop next to an open flame as well but that's hard to do with the baby in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete