Sunday, January 24, 2010

Herb-Salted Pork Roast

So the baby finally decided to take a nap this afternoon, and I took 5 minutes of that "me time" to prepare dinner for later tonight, when my husband should be home to watch her. This is only the start of the recipe, which I prepared at least two hours before I planned on cooking it. The pork roast ran me about $4 and I had all the spices on my shelf. I'll be cooking vegetables to go with this later, just not sure what yet. This can be roasted on its own and just served with sides of sweet potato and a green veggie.

Ingredients for dry rub:

Pork Loin Roast, 1-2 pounds
1 Tbsp sea salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp dry oregano
1/8 tsp dry thyme

Mix herbs and spices together well in a small bowl. Rinse meat off under warm water and shake dry, then rub seasoning mixture over the entire slab of meat. Place meat in a gallon-size storage back and let sit in the refrigerator at least one hour before cooking.

Vegetables:
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1-pound bag of baby carrots
1/2 sweet onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
olive oil spray
seasoned salt
ground black pepper

When it's time to cook, spray bottom of pan with olive oil then place meat in roasting pan and surround with chopped vegetables. Spray olive oil over veggies and sprinkle with some seasoned salt and ground black pepper. Roast at 325 F for 1 hr 15-30 minutes, depending on weight of pork, or until internal temperature is up to 160 F or higher.
I accidentally over-salted the vegetables, but other than that even a little overcooked it was fantastic. Feeds 3-4 people, if they don't steal all the veggies like my husband did.

No comments:

Post a Comment