Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cheatin' Chicken Fajitas


As the baby gets older, it's easier to distract her either with toys or a new viewpoint, such as sitting in the high chair looking at things or watching me from her bouncer. Last night was one of those easily distract-able nights for her, especially since we had a couple friends join us for dinner. I'm a big fan of McCormick spices and spice packs, and I took advantage of one of their easy meal ideas last night. Of course, I added a couple ingredients to make it better, but if you don't have the extras on hand then the mix packet works just fine on its own. This takes about 20-30 minutes to prepare and feeds 4 people.

Ingredients:

1- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (cost: about $3)
1 sweet onion, halved and cut into strips
1 green pepper, cored and cut into strips
1 Tbsp lime juice
1/8 tsp ground cumin seed or ground cumin
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup water
1 McCormick Fajita Mix packet (cost: 60 cents)
10-pack or larger of flour tortillas (cost: $2)
12 oz pack of Mexican-style shredded cheese (cost: $2)
12 oz. light sour cream (cost: $1.60)

Cut chicken thighs into long strips. You need a good sharp knife for this sort of thing, and I used my Ginsu. You can buy pre-cut strips of chicken but it's cheaper to just do it yourself. Brown meat (or at least cook until you no longer see any pink) in one Tbsp olive oil in large frying pan on medium heat, then remove to a bowl and set aside.

In the same pan, add the remaining Tbsp olive oil and brown/wilt the onion and pepper.

Return chicken strips to the same pan and add the lime juice, cumin seed (which I ground myself in my mortar) , water and spice packet. Continue to fry, mixing all together for another 3 minutes on low-medium heat. Warm a few tortillas for 10 seconds in the microwave, then put some of the fajita mix in the middle of each tortilla, topping each with some shredded cheese and sour cream, then fold up and eat.

I forgot to take photos of the finished product, as I had been working on a glass of wine by this time and was distracted by the company we had over. I'm sure you'll figure out what a fajita looks like without my help though. The baby had a good time listening to the conversation and watching us all eat. Very tasty recipe and easy to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment