Thursday, December 10, 2009

Meal's Beef Stew


Hooray for the Crock Pot! A mom's best friend. I used the 30 minute nap the baby was taking around 10:30am to put this one together for later tonight. This recipe changes almost every time I make it, depending on which spices I feel like throwing in, but this is the base of my amazing beef stew. Or soup....sometimes it's not so stew-y....

Ingredients:

1 lb. (or thereabouts) stew beef, cubed (I buy the package ready-made at the store)
5-6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 lb. frozen peas
1/2 lb. frozen corn
8 baby red potatoes or 4 large
1 sweet onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 celery stalk, halved down the middle (long way) and chopped
2 beef boullion cubes (or one can beef broth)
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp oregano
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. Lawry's seasoned salt
1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
5 cups water (4 if you're using a can of beef broth)
3 Tbsp cornstarch

Get out your large Crock Pot for this one! Make sure the beef cubes are about inch wide pieces. It's up to your taste whether to peel the potatoes or not; sometimes I do, but today I didn't, since I was using baby potatoes and it's just too much work to peel them. Leaving the skins on retains the vitamins anyhow.
Pour the liquids into the pot first, then add the boullion cubes and spices. Throw everything else into the pot and mix well with a wooden spoon. Cook on low in the Crock Pot for at least 7 hours.
My mom always said whoever finds the bay leaf in their bowl has won the prize, so we say the same thing at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment