Thursday, December 31, 2009

Lamb Neckbone Stew

Phew! What a holiday week! I haven't made an entry since Christmas Eve, I know, but with all the family here for the holiday I had no time to blog or take photos of the dinner I made for Christmas. Suffice to say some of it didn't come out as I would have hoped, so you're not really missing out. We had ham, duck, maple squash with parsnips, mashed potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce, and my grandmother's baked beans recipe. And yes, if you click on the word duck in that last sentence you will be linked to the recipe I use every year, which is fantastic!
We had a very nice Christmas with my mother, stepfather, aunt and uncle, and my daughter got lots of attention. Now that most of the leftovers have been eaten, I raided the remnants from the freezer. I found a package of lamb neck bones that my husband had thrown into the shopping cart from the discount meat bin a few weeks ago, saying something to the tune of "I'm sure you can make something with these."
So I have! The baby enjoyed sucking on her butterfly toy while I kept an eye on her in the kitchen as I put this together.

Ingredients:

About 1-2 pounds of lamb neck bones (yes, there's meat on these)
3 cups water
4 red potatoes, cubed
4 fat carrots, chopped into rounds
1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
2 celery stalks, halved lengthwise and chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp parsley
1 Tbsp dry rosemary
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp rubbed sage
2 Tbsp cornstarch
pinch/2 small sprigs of fresh oregano and fresh rosemary, if you have it

Pour water into 7-quart Crock Pot. The next step is up to you; I think it would be easiest to put in all the vegetables (once again, I've taken to not peeling my potatoes to retain the vitamins from the skin), cornstarch and spices and mix them together with a large wooden spoon, then throw the meat in on top and mix it in. If you start it early enough, it would be best to cook on low for 6-8 hours, but if you can't then cook on high for 4 hours and low for the remaining time you have available, hopefully at least 2 hours.
This came out wonderfully tasty, the meat falling off the bones, and was a welcome treat eaten with crescent rolls and a glass of champagne for the new year. Happy New Year, everybody!

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say that I found this recipe while searching for what to do with some leftover lamb neck bones. I changed a few things (based on what I had on hand), but it was very tasty! I plan on making it again! :)

    ReplyDelete