Thursday, December 24, 2009

Ornamental Cutout Cookies

I started making these with the baby in her high chair watching, but didn't get through mixing the dough before she started zonking out on me. So these were made entirely during a long baby nap. My grandmother used to make this dough for just about every holiday and we would go over her house, roll it out, and cut the cookies out with various cookie cutters to fit the holiday. I forgot before I started that I didn't have any Christmassy sprinkles, so I had to make due with some ice cream topping ones I had buried in my baking cupboard. And no, you can't cut out the brandy; it gives the dough its unique flavor, and isn't nearly enough to do any harm to dough-eating children.

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp brandy

Sift together first 4 ingredients into a bowl. Add butter and mix with a spatula into coarse mixture, then add egg, brandy, and vanilla. Mix as well as you can with the spatula then dig in with your hands and knead the dough til it sticks together.
Roll out to about 1/8-inch thickness on a floured surface. Pat bottoms of cookie cutters in flour before cutting each cookie, as this eases removal. Put on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350F for 7-10 minutes, or until light brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment