Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Pork Shoulder with Vegetables and Cranberry Sauce


I've been juggling the baby (who is 3 months old now and becoming cranky, by the way) and trying to run errands all morning, like trying to get to the grocery store to pick up a few ingredients for dinner tonight. I must admit, I got this idea from Stephanie O'Dea's blog, A Year of Slow Cooking, but when I got home from the grocery store the recipe took on a life of its own.
I had a half a bag of carrots still in the fridge from Thanksgiving, along with a small bag of baby red potatoes to get rid of. I also wanted to combine the recipe on her blog with the pork shoulder recipe in her cookbook, but with half of the ingredients. Anyway, I ended up with a Crock Pot creation of my own, but I owe the idea to Stephanie, so Thanks!

Ingredients:

Pork Shoulder Roast (small enough to fit comfortably in your large Crock Pot, about 2 pounds)
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
6-7 full sized carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
6 baby red potatoes, quartered
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp ground ginger
Sea Salt
Ground pepper
Seasoned salt

Place meat into crock Pot, fattiest side down. Scatter half of the onion and garlic over the meat, and mix the rest in with the potatoes and carrots, arranged around the pork. Pour in 1/3 cup water, just enough to help cook the veggies. Sprinkle the pork with sea salt, pepper, ginger and mustard. Sprinkle seasoned salt and pepper on the vegetables. Empty the entire can of cranberry sauce on top of the meat, pushing it around on top of the veggies as well. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, then serve with rice or pasta (I'm using rice pilaf).
This turned out abso-floggin-lutely delicious, and you could cut the meat with your fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment