Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Roast Boneless Leg of Lamb with Roasted Vegetables

Lamb again! I know, I know, but that's what my husband pulled out of the freezer last night to thaw for today. It was still a bit frozen in the middle but I can just cook it a little longer. We allow ourselves the luxury of lamb a few times a month if we can find a good cut, and a pre-frozen, vacuum-packed boneless leg of lamb is usually easy to come by, for around $12.
Tonight's vegetables were a motley of what I had available between the potato cupboard and the crisper drawer in the fridge. For example, the only reason there is any green in the dish is the fact that I had some scallions and half a green pepper hanging around since last week and I wanted to get rid of them. The others are a normal staple of what I put into the roasting pan: carrots, potatoes, onion, and garlic. Zucchini or yellow squash makes a tasty addition as well. Use whatever vegetables and legumes you have available, but these worked out great for us this time around.
Incidentally, I feel like I'm cheating you again, because my daughter decided to nap just in time for me to put dinner together. This takes about 20 minutes or so to prep, and you should thaw the lamb at least the night before in the refrigerator.



Ingredients:

Boneless leg of lamb
2 sweet potatoes/yams, peeled and cubed (this is the hardest part)
4-5 red potatoes, washed and cut into quarters
1 lb. bag of baby carrots
1 sweet onion
4 fat cloves of garlic (or smaller ones to equal that amount), chopped
Other/optional veggies such as bell pepper, zucchini, squash, scallions
Balsamic vinegar
Lawry's seasoned salt
Black pepper, ground
Rosemary
Cinnamon
Parsley flakes
Olive oil (This Sprayer works great)

Preheat oven to 425F and make sure the top rack is near the middle of the oven. Spray or drizzle olive oil on bottom of roasting pan. Rinse lamb leg under warm water, then place in center of pan. Arrange/scatter the chopped vegetables and carrots around the lamb, mixing them together. Spray/drizzle all over with olive oil. Shake seasoned salt and pepper over all, to whatever amount is your liking. Drizzle balsamic vinegar over the lamb, then top with rosemary. Sprinkle cinnamon on the bits of sweet potato that you can see (don't go digging for them, but this is my secret to sweetness) and sprinkle about a tablespoon of parsley over the vegetables (this counteracts the gassiness of the onions and garlic).
Place pan into oven for 15 minutes, enough to brown the lamb, then turn down to 325F for another 50-65 minutes. Cut into lamb to check for doneness; using a meat thermometer almost always makes you overcook it and lamb is best when it's pinkish red in the middle.

And just for the record, I can't even remember how I managed to cook without a good roasting pan. I'm in love with this Roasting Pan I got as a wedding gift last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment