Saturday, March 6, 2010

Easy, Quick Cucumber Sandwiches for Tea Time

I watched The Importance of Being Earnest the other night, and it got me back into the English mood. I have phases like that, mostly when going to Renaissance Faires, but also often when watching a Jane Austen or other period English movie. Thankfully, this recipe takes all of five minutes to put together, and the baby was well able to entertain herself with her toys for that time. Try making these with a cup of Lady Grey tea. And of course, you can make as many as you want; I only made four cut finger sandwiches.

Ingredients:

a few thin slices of Artisan Bread
8-12 slices of cucumber
butter
a few dashes of ground black pepper

Butter the insides of the slices of bread, then layer cucumber slices inside, as high as you want your crunch to go (I had four slices on each side of the bread halves so I could cut them down the middle). Sprinkle a little black pepper on top of the cucumbers, then top with the opposite side of bread, butter side down. Cut each sandwich in half, or into finger-sandwich sizes. Make as many as you want! And serve with cups of English tea. Very tasty for something so simple, and I'm told these are actually authentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment