Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pound Cake

I got this recipe out of a really old copy of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. Here it is for your taste-testing pleasure! I'm bringing it to a party tonight, which I'll only be at for an hour or so as I'll have the baby with me.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup butter (room temp or warm)
zest of one medium-sized lemon
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

I used my big red KitchenAid mixer for this, but you can get the same results just as easily with a hand mixer and a big bowl. Cream the butter and peel together. Gradually add sugar, creaming til light and well-mixed.

Add vanilla, then eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg. Sift together dry ingredients (I always sift over a piece of waxed paper; makes it easier to dump the whole thing into the bowl later) and stir them into the mix.

Grease the bottom of a 9x5x3-inch pan and add batter.

Bake at 350 F for 50-55 minutes. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment