Sunday, March 21, 2010

Simple Stuffed Mushrooms


So I bought a package of mushrooms, thinking I'd do something with them...put them in a sauce, make them a side dish, whatever. My husband hates them so it was a perfect idea for me to eat them alone while he's gone. I could only find one recipe for stuffed mushrooms in my cookbook and it didn't look very appetizing, so I decided to wing it. I put the baby on a blanket on the floor with a few toys for tummy time and set off to make up my own recipe for stuffed mushrooms with what I had in my cupboards.

Ingredients:

1 pack of white mushrooms
1/2 sweet onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp parsley flakes
dash of black pepper and sea salt
1 cheese stick (or about 1/4 cup mozzarella)

Use a knife to carefully loosen the stems from the mushroom heads and pull them out, making the heads into little cups.

Drop 1/2 the butter into a frying pan on low heat and add the onions and garlic. Chop up the mushroom stems as small as you can get, then add to the mix in the frying pan, cooking all for about 8 minutes.

Add the salt, pepper, and parsley near the end of cook time.

In a separate bowl, melt the remaining butter in the microwave. Add the bread crumbs.

Add the food from the frying pan to the bread crumb/butter bowl and mix all together well. You will end up with leftovers of this mixture, which tastes pretty good on toast. Use a spoon to stuff this mixture into the mushroom heads.

Grease a large cookie sheet and place the stuffed mushrooms on it in rows. Slice the cheese stick into thin rounds and place atop each stuffed mushroom. CAREFULLY load the pan into the oven and bake at 350 F for 15 minutes.

Enjoy as a side dish, snack, or lunch item.

No comments:

Post a Comment