Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Stuffed Bell Peppers


I got lucky...I put the baby down for a quick nap and managed to get all this put together while she slept. Except the rice...I had to start that early since it takes 40 minutes to simmer. And I recommend you buy at least 5 peppers...my 3 were not nearly enough for the amount of stuffing I had.

Ingredients:

1- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup brown rice
1/2 sweet onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
5 varied colored bell peppers
1 can tomato puree
1/4 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 Tbsp dried parsley
shredded mozzarella (I forgot to buy and had to pull apart a cheese stick)

Prepare 1 cup of rice (1 cup dry rice, 1 3/4 cups water, bring to a boil then turn down and simmer 40 minutes). When rice is almost done cooking, brown the ground beef in a large skillet. Push meat aside after it starts to brown and throw the onions and garlic in the pan as well.

Once meat is browned, combine ingredients from frying pan with rice in a large bowl. Add tomato puree and all spices; mix well.

Cut off tops of bell peppers and scoop out the insides.

Fill each pepper bottom with the stuffing mixture, then top with a bit of cheese. Bake at 350F on a large cookie sheet for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment