Friday, October 22, 2010

Easy Corn Chowder

My mother said this was my grandma's easy cheater recipe for making corn and potato chowder, and since I had four potatoes from the farmer's market to use up I figured I'd give it a shot. It even made a decent breakfast, though it was meant for lunch.

Ingredients:

4 medium white potatoes, scrubbed and chopped with the skin left on
1 shallot or 1/4 onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 celery stick, chopped small
1 12 oz can creamed corn
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp parsley flakes
water

Rinse off chopped potatoes in the pot, then add just enough water to almost cover them. Add a dash of extra salt and pepper to that and cover, then put on medium/high heat and bring to a boil.

Add celery, shallot, and garlic, and turn down to medium heat. Stir well and let cook about 5 minutes, until potatoes start to get tender.

Add all other ingredients and stir well, turning heat down to low and simmer 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soup has the consistency and the potatoes as soft as you want.

Makes about 6-8 bowls of soup.

*Late edit: My mother told me I did it a little differently from grandma, but to make the soup even better, add a spoonful of bacon fat at the beginning and 1/4 cup of milk after you add the creamed corn near the end.*

1 comment:

  1. If you use chicken or vegetable broth instead of water you can add another layer of flavor. You can also add a little grated cheese.

    ReplyDelete